Happy Labor Day weekend, I’ve been busy!
Now that festival season is in full swing and launching us into the Oscar season, I’ve updated the Oscar predictions pages! Some question marks to be answered in the coming months:
- Will Viola Davis be campaigned in lead or supporting for Fences? The role has been positioned in both on stage.
- Can Isabelle Huppert be this year’s recognized legend or will multiple projects divide her love? If Elle gets more attention, is it too prickly and slippery for the pearl clutchers?
- Is anything from the spring and summer going to be able to get a resurgence? For below the line categories, The Jungle Book and Love and Friendship could be major threats.
- Debating The Birth of a Nation‘s Oscar chances in regards to Nate Parker’s reemerging rape charges and homophobia is indeed gross, but regardless of controversy: could voters just get plain tired of talking/hearing about the movie for nine months?
- If Silence does open this year (The Wolf of Wall Street had the same release dates woes this time during its year), will there be a long-gestating payoff for the Martin Scorsese passion project? That narrative only took Gangs of New York so far when it didn’t deliver.